Monday, September 1, 2008

A Contemplation on the Labor of Holidays

Today, as I was laboring on Labor Day in the kitchen with my mother-in-law getting the food for our cookout prepared, I marveled at how much labor women really do put into the holidays. So much cooking and cleaning, organizing and preparing. It's a lot of work to make memorable experiences for all involved. At least the work is often done in the company of others. I love holidays, partially because my dad always made such a big deal out of them when we were growing up. I love spending quality time with my family and friends. I love special traditions and little surprises. I have always loved Christmas the best. For one reason, my birthday is on the 26th of December. This year as I gear up to prepare for Christmas, I'm going to follow the Houseworks Holiday Plan which starts this week. I just found it tonight and I'm feeling inspired. I believe that the plan will provide just the right amount of direction I need to keep on task, get to the clutter in my house and be prepared to make some amazing memories this year. Check out the plan for yourself here.
This week is Planning and Paperwork week. My assignment is to declutter our desks/paperwork spaces and really get my household organizer (a 3-ring binder that I papercrafted almost a year ago - it's just lovely externally but internally, it has some issues) in working order. This seems daunting to me right now as our desk is a complete mess, once again. sigh. aaaahhhh. Now, if only I can convince my husband that this is truly the week to declutter our desk.

No comments: