Sunday, July 27, 2008

Mid-Year Resolutions

Although I can hardly believe that the year is a month more than halfway over already- flying by as I desperately scramble each month to find balance and order - I find myself in the midst of renewed determination and get-to-itiveness. It's actually refreshing and kind-of hopeful feeling.
Sometimes I doubt myself and my ability in each of my roles as wife, mother, pastor, daughter, etc... I'm sure that is completely normal but even normal doubt isn't easy, especially when you have such high ideals and dreams for what you expect life to be like as an adult. I really really want balance in my life. BALANCE is probably the key word of my life right now, although I feel like I'm transitioning on to other words like PEACEFUL and JOYFUL. They all go together really.
I've been thinking this week about the appearance of my home and what that says about me, about my life and witness for Christ. What words would people use to characterize my life? Quite honestly, words like chaotic, disorderly, overwhelmed, and stressed come to my mind. I don't want my life to be that way and I'm soul searching and seeking to find a way to change it. I want my home to be a refuge from the storm. A place of safety and security. A godly place of instruction and good Christian witness - overflowing in love, kind words, peaceful, loving actions. Discipline, order, simplicity. Free of clutter and excess stuff. I want my love for God to be evident to all and I want my children to be shining lights in their generation.
So, practically, I'm working on 1. Going through the boys toys to get rid of stuff they don't need, like or use. I'm going to leave certain special toys out and then hide the rest so I can start rotating them out, wkly. Hopefully this will help the boys actually play with their toys more and make less mess with them at the same time. 2. I'm going to start cleaning up the house each night before bed. 3. Sticking to a schedule - Staying home more and being more intentional in how I spend each day - doing more educational activities with Alan and making more playdates with friends (not just going out randomly). I'm sure there is much much more on my list but those are the big three that I can think of right now. What do you do to keep life balanced, peaceful and joyful? I would love to hear your thought and ideas on this. :)

No comments: